First there was a basketball game last night. Not a very good one, but a win. I think as long as they don’t lose any of these games before conference play, we will all be happy. There are some things to take from this game.
- When Terrell Stoglin was out with the foul trouble, the offense actually looked ok. It was shaky ball handling, but once they got settled down, they were able to get some decent shots. Sure FIU wasn’t huge inside, but it was nice to see Pankey and even Weis score inside.
- What happened to James Padgett? He seemed to be really coming along and last night he was not really a factor. I was hoping we were starting to see a consistent effort and game from James, but last night showed he is still a work in progress.
- Sean Mosley seemed to lose his shooting touch before our eyes last night. He was hot early, and then quickly cooled off. The problem was his misses were bad. Very bad. Let’s hope that was just a minor setback and he will get his shot back soon.
- The defense is still a work in progress. I will say there was one made three pointer that was pretty well defended, and you just have to tip your cap, but there were still quite a few open looks from three, some of which were misses, that a better team is not going to miss.
- I am getting really excited to see Pe’Shon back out there. The ball handling was very bad in the first half. I am really expecting things to get back under control when he is on the floor. I don’t care if he doesn’t score to be quite honest. We need his ability to get the team moving and cutting down on turnovers.
Those are some quick mental notes I made watching the game. The bottom line is they didn’t lose. And to be honest, they should have. It was great to see them pull it out. I just wasn’t really ready for that to be a game that came down to the final possession like it did.
An ACC basketball note here. Next season all teams will play 18 conference games. No real story of how this will impact the schedule yet, but it likely means one less home non-conference game. After the attendance last night, I think the fans have spoken on watching those games! I think the reality of the change is due to the pending expansion to 14 teams, and just incase they somehow get out of the Big East early, this will help them with the transition.
Now on to football. No official word on the Locksley hiring yet, but there was a pretty interesting Randy Edsall interview in the Washington Post with Eric Prisbell. If you have the time, read the entire transcript. It will take you a while. It is interesting.
I still think there are some things he doesn’t get, but you can see he opened up a little bit. He admitted he needed to handle somethings differently. He stuck to his reasons for doing things the way he did, but he did say there are some things that are going to be done differently. Like having the coordinators available to the media on Wednesday’s this season. If he had done something like this prior to the season, some people may have been willing to give him a little more of a
Leach leash (I left that in there to show you where my mind was). Anyway, I feel only slightly better about where this team is going after reading that. I still think he has a long way to go, and some of his reasons for doing things are a little over the top, but you can begin to see a little method to the madness.
That interview in no way changed my mind about him. I still don’t think he was or is Maryland’s best option. The truth is we are going to have him for a while, and he admits somethings to need to change. If they indeed do this season, I might let myself get a little more warm and fuzzy with the thought of him as our coach.
So there you have it. A post all over the Maryland sports landscape. A couple of quick thoughts on the basketball team. A couple of thoughts on Randy Edsall’s lengthy interview with the post. Kind of a lot to cover considering we are in exam time in College Park. So if any of you are students reading this, good luck with finals! Sell those books back and have fun with the cash! I know I did. Also, don’t forget to get your Bowl Pick’em picks in soon. Here is the 2011 TD Bowl Pick’em Contest so you don’t have to go back and find it. Good luck!