I don’t know how much you care what Joe Lunardi has say to say about Bracketology, but for the first time in a long time, Maryland Basketball has at least found its way into the conversation. Sure we are still on the outside looking in, but we are getting closer to inclusion, and tomorrows game against UNC will go a long way in determining their NCAA fate. In fact I think you can say a loss tomorrow pops the bubble. Let’s not think about tomorrow yet. As of right now, Joe Lunardi has Maryland as the last team listed on the next four out. Like I said, that is not an enviable position, but at least we are in the conversation.
Now the way I read it, and it’s not as if Lunardi is the be all end all decision maker, that means there are eight teams ahead of Maryland that they need to jump. Take into account that there will be some upsets in the conference tournaments to take away a couple more spots, and that likely puts you at 10-11 teams you need to jump.
So for your rooting pleasure, here are the teams you need to root against this weekend.
Lundardi’s Last Four In
- Georgia- You will want to see South Carolina upset UGA on Sat at 7pm
- Richmond- We will be rooting for a 10-17 Charlotte team to pull one out at 7pm Sat
- UAB- 12-14 Houston host UAB at 6PM Sat. So far not looking great for upsets!
- Colorado St.- 13-13 Air Force host C-St. The trend continues
Lundardi’s First four out
- Minnesota- The gophers host Michigan. Finally a ray of hope.
- Boston College- The Eagles did themselves no favors by losing to Miami at home this week. Now they get to travel to UVA for a noon tip. Go Hoos!
- Witchita State- This is a tough one. The Missouri Valley could pull an extra team into the dance if things worked out right, and this Saturday’s game between the Shockers and Missouri State could wind up putting Witchita State in and Missou St on the bubble as they are both sitting at 14-3 in the Valley. This game tips at 1:00 pm on ESPN2
- Clemson- The Tigers host Wake at 4:00 today. Move along here, nothing to see here.
Lunardi’s Last Four Out
- Baylor- Baylor host #17 Texas A&M- Can you say upset special? I see Baylor in a similar scenario with Maryland. However, Baylor sports a lofty RPI of 79
- Nebraska- The Huskers travel to Iowa State (1-12 in the Big 12) today at 1:45
- VCU- They host James Madison today at noon. I think the Colonial is one of those Conference Tournament to really keep an eye on. George Mason is the favorite, and Old Dominion is likely in as well. If VCU were to win the conference tournament, ODU and Mason would likely still make it. Especially Mason.
So there are some games of note if you think Lunardi has his act together. I think it would also behoove us to root for Duke tonight at Virginia Tech. I am not sold on VT being a lock yet thanks to being swept by UVA. Of course sweeping us, doesn’t say much for our chances.
Now, I have one other thing to say. We added three teams to the field this year, and we are still fighting and clawing to get into the big dance. What disturbs me is the teams we are trying to beat to get there. Maybe I am being a little elitist, but does Maryland Basketball really belong in the same discussion as VCU, Nebraska and Witchita State? Just let that sink in for a minute.